Quality Control Lab Supervisor
- Closing Date: N/A
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 40
- Schedule: Days
- Education: University
Reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager, the Quality Control Supervisor is a champion for quality and safety at Canada Royal Milk (CRM). The Quality Control Supervisor’s role is to oversee the set-up and daily operations of the plant's micro-biology and chemical laboratories. The Supervisor adheres to the food safety testing protocols set out by Chinese, Canadian and American regulatory agencies ensuring that lab technicians are proficient in all required protocols.
The ability to build and maintain positive relationships across departments and with regulatory bodies is required for success in the role. This position requires frequent interaction with R&D in Beijing as well as food safety regulatory agencies in China. A bilingual (Mandarin-English) candidate is highly preferred.
The standard office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Most of the work occurs during regular week day office hours. However, as an international company with frequent interaction with head office, hours of work involved may vary to accommodate differences in time zones. Flexible hours are required occasionally and may include evening and week-ends.
This job mainly operates in an office and/or laboratory setting. This role routinely uses standard office and laboratory equipment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversees the set-up and operations of the plant’s micro-biology and chemical laboratories.
2. Assists Quality Assurance Manager to recruit and select technicians with the support of Human Resources.
3. Responsible for on-boarding, training and continuous coaching of technicians.
4. Manages the Lab Technicians and coordinate lab activities and testing to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
5. Coordinate and review comparison testing for in-process and lab equipment and Technician testing performance monitoring including performing and/or coordinating necessary equipment calibration changes.
6. Oversee creation of sub-lot composites to facilitate the necessary analyses and tests on products.
7. Coordinate and maintain adherence with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP’s).
8. Ensure lab equipment is kept cleaned and sterilized and instruments are calibrated.
9. Utilize just-in-time methods to purchase required laboratory supplies and maintain cost effective inventory levels.
10. Assist with the design of facility utility surveillance programs to ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
11. Assist with SOP/SSOP development: responsible for maintenance including annual reviews.
12. Other duties may be assigned.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Chemistry or Biology
Experience: One or more years of experience performing quality control tests in a food, beverage, or dairy production environment. Dairy experience preferred.
Minimum of 2 years of experience supervising, coaching and developing employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of SQF, HACCP, and GMP is a must
- Demonstrate leadership as part of a cross-functional plant management team
- Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, establish priorities, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Results driven, bottom-line oriented, strive to exceed goals, and motivate self and others to achieve positive outcomes
- Demonstrate functional and technical knowledge, ability to learn new skills quickly, and achieve a high level of accomplishment
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to develop others through teaching and mentoring
- Time management and multi-tasking skills
Other Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Perks & Benefits
- Life insurance coverage
- Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
- Long term disability insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Great pay
- On the job training
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities